Personal info

  • Name: Owen Edward Pennefather LLOYD
  • D.O.B: 1st Jan, 1854
  • D.O.A: 6th Jan, 1893
  • D.O.D: 5th Jul, 1941
  • Award: Victoria Cross
  • Occupation at time of action: Surgeon Major, Army Medical Department, attached to 2nd Battalion East Lancashire Regiment
  • Book: The Complete History - Volume 1
View On Interactive Map

Sources & Acknowledgements

Sima Post, Kachin Hills, Burma 6 January 1893

6 January 1893

More details about:
INDIA and BURMA 1889-97 

The various Kachin tribes in Burma inhabited the mountainous districts east and west of the upper reaches of the Irrawaddy river. They lacked any central authority, being ruled by village headmen, and engaged in continuous raiding against their neighbours. Each year the British undertook small punitive expeditions to contain them. On 3 December 1892 Captain Boyce Morton left Talawgyi on the Irrawaddy with 550 men to establish a police frontier post at Sima on the Chinese border. He reached Sima on the 14th and there was skirmishing while the post was being constructed. By 5 January 1893 there were rumours of a large scale Kachin attack and Morton accordingly withdrew his outlying pickets. When the attack materialized at 6am on 6 January, he realized that one picket was still out. Venturing out to withdraw it he was mortally wounded. Major O E P Lloyd was awarded the VC for his gallantry in tending Captain Morton. Subadar Matab Singh and five Sikhs of the Magwe Battalion, Burma Military Police (Kishen Singh, Laina Singh, Gyal Singh, Outam Singh and Gundah Singh), were all awarded the (Indian) Order of Merit, third class, for their part in the action. The Kachin attack was beaten off, though for some days the post was effectively isolated.


 During the attack on the Sima Post by Kachins, on the 6th January last, Surgeon-Major Lloyd on hearing that the Commanding Officer, Captain Morton (who had left the fort to visit a picket about 80 yards distant) was wounded, at once ran out to his assistance under a close and heavy fire, accompanied by Subadar Matab Singh. On reaching the wounded Officer, Surgeon-Major Lloyd sent Subadar Matab Singh back for further assistance, and remained with Captain Morton till the Subadar returned with five men of the Magwe Battalion of Military Police, when he assisted in carrying Captain Morton back to the fort, where that Officer died a few minutes afterwards. The enemy were within ten or fifteen paces keeping up a heavy fire which killed three men of the picket, and also Bugler Purna Singh. This man accompanied Captain Morton from the fort, showed great gallantry in supporting him in his arms when wounded, and was shot while helping to carry him back to the fort. (The Native Officer and five sepoys above alluded to have been awarded the Order of Merit.) 

The London Gazette of 2 January 1894, Numb. 26472, p. 1

Copyright © 2021 VC and GC Association. All Rights Reserved. Created by Glide.Design