Personal info

  • Name: Leslie Thomas MANSER
  • D.O.B: 11th May, 1922
  • D.O.A: 31st May, 1942
  • D.O.D: 31st May, 1942
  • Award: Victoria Cross
  • Occupation at time of action: Flying Officer, No 50 Squadron, Royal Air Force, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
View On Interactive Map

Sources & Acknowledgements

Cologne Raid, Germany 30-31 May 1942

30-31 May 1942

More details about:
The Second World War 1942 

On the night of 30-31 May 1942 Flying Officer L T Manser took part in the 1,000 bomber raid on Cologne. He had to fly his Avro Manchester at below optimum height as the aircraft’s engines began to overheat. He succeeded in bombing the target but the plane had been badly damaged by the flak defences and on the return flight it crashed three miles east of Bree in Belgium and west of Maastricht across the Dutch border. With the exception of his navigator Barnes, who was injured when he landed by parachute and was captured, the surviving members of his crew were hidden by villagers and finally escaped to the United Kingdom. It was their testimony that led to Manser’s posthumous award of the VC.


 Flying Officer Manser was captain and first pilot of a Manchester aircraft which took part in the mass raid on Cologne on the night of May 30th, 1942. As the aircraft was approaching its objective it was caught by searchlights and subjected to intense and accurate anti-aircraft fire. Flying Officer Manser held on his dangerous course and bombed the target successfully from a height of 7,000 feet. Then he set course for base. The Manchester had been damaged and was still under heavy fire. Flying Officer Manser took violent evasive action, turning and descending to under 1,000 feet. It was of no avail. The searchlights and flak followed him until the outskirts of the city were passed. The aircraft was hit repeatedly and the rear gunner was wounded. The front cabin filled with smoke; the port engine was over-heating badly. Pilot and crew could all have escaped safely by parachute. Nevertheless, Flying Officer Manser, disregarding the obvious hazards, persisted in his attempt to save the aircraft and crew from falling into enemy hands. He took the aircraft up to 2,000 feet. Then the port engine burst into flames. It was ten minutes before the fire was mastered, but then the engine went out of action for good, part of one wing was burnt, and the air speed of the aircraft became dangerously low. Despite all the efforts of pilot and crew, the Manchester began to lose height. At this critical moment, Flying Officer Manser once more disdained the alternative of parachuting to safety with his crew. Instead, with grim determination, he set a new course for the nearest base, accepting for himself the prospect of almost certain death in a firm resolve to carry on to the end. Soon, the aircraft became extremely difficult to handle and, when a crash was inevitable, Flying Officer Manser ordered the crew to bail out. A sergeant handed him a parachute but he waved it away, telling the non-commissioned officer to jump at once as he could only hold the aircraft steady for a few seconds more. While the crew were descending to safety they saw the aircraft, still carrying their gallant captain, plunge to earth and burst into flames. In pressing home his attack in the face of strong opposition, in striving, against heavy odds, to bring back his aircraft and crew and, finally, when in extreme peril, thinking only of the safety of his comrades, Flying Officer Manser displayed determination and valour of the highest order. 

Third Supplement to The London Gazette of 20 October 1942. 23 October 1942, Numb. 35755, p. 4593

Copyright © 2021 VC and GC Association. All Rights Reserved. Created by Glide.Design