Personal info

  • Name: Michael ALLMAND
  • D.O.B: 22nd Aug, 1923
  • D.O.A: 10th Jun, 1944
  • D.O.D: 23rd Jun, 1944
  • Award: Victoria Cross
  • Occupation at time of action: Acting Captain, 6th Duke of Connaught’s Own Lancers (Watson’s Horse), attached 3rd Battalion 6th Gurkha Rifles, 77th Indian Infantry Brigade (Chindits), 3rd Indian Division
  • Book: The Complete History - Volume 3
View On Interactive Map

Sources & Acknowledgements

Pin Hmi Bridge, Burma 10 June 1944; Mogaung, Burma 12 and 23 June 1944

10, 12 and 23 June 1944

More details about:
The Second World War 1944 

On 5 March 1944 Operation Thursday launched the second Chindit Expedition in Burma, with the aim of assisting General Stilwell drive the Japanese out of northern Burma and reopen a land route into south-west China. Nearly 10,000 men were airlifted into the region and on 27 May 77th Brigade was ordered to capture Mogaung, the last major town on the railway before Myitkyina on the Irrawaddy River. By 6 June Pin Hmi village about a mile east of Mogaung had been secured. However, Pin Hmi Bridge remained in Japanese hands despite two attempts to capture it. Instead, the Gurkhas captured Mahaung village to the west of Pin Hmi Bridge and the following day attacked it from the rear, taking it at the second attempt. On 23 June the Allies attacked Mogaung itself and captured the railway bridge over the river. By the 26th the town was in their hands. Myitkyina was captured on 3 August.


 Captain Allmand was commanding the leading platoon of a Company of the 6th Gurkha Rifles in Burma on 11th June, 1944, when the Battalion was ordered to attack the Pin Hmi Road Bridge. The enemy had already succeeded in holding up our advance at this point for twenty-four hours. The approach to the Bridge was very narrow as the road was banked up and the lowlying land on either side was swampy and densely covered in jungle. The Japanese who were dug in along the banks of the road and in the jungle with machine guns and small arms, were putting up the most desperate resistance. As the platoon come within twenty yards of the Bridge, the enemy opened heavy and accurate fire, inflicting severe casualties and forcing the men to seek cover. Captain Allmand, however, with the utmost gallantry charged on by himself, hurling grenades into the enemy gun positions and killing three Japanese himself with his kukrie. Inspired by the splendid example of their platoon commander the surviving men followed him and captured their objective. Two days later Captain Allmand, owing to casualties among the officers, took over command of the Company and, dashing thirty yards ahead of it through long grass and marshy ground, swept by machine gun fire, personally killed a number of enemy machine gunners and successfully led his men onto the ridge of high ground that they had been ordered to seize. Once again on June 23rd in the final attack on the Railway Bridge at Mogaung, Captain Allmand, although suffering from trench-foot, which made it difficult for him to walk, moved forward alone through deep mud and shell-holes and charged a Japanese machine gun nest single-handed, but he was mortally wounded and died shortly afterwards. The superb gallantry, outstanding leadership and protracted heroism of this very brave officer were a wonderful example to the whole Battalion and in the highest traditions of his regiment 

Supplement to The London Gazette of 24 October 1944. 26 October 1944, Numb. 36764, p. 4900

Extra Information

(Subscription Required)

Copyright © 2023 VC and GC Association. All Rights Reserved. Created by Glide.Design