Personal info

  • Name: Ganju LAMA
  • D.O.B: 22nd Jul, 1922
  • D.O.A: 2nd Jun, 1944
  • D.O.D: 1st Jul, 2000
  • Award: Victoria Cross
  • Occupation at time of action: Rifleman, 1st Battalion 7th Gurkha Rifles, 48th Indian Infantry Brigade, 17th Indian Division
  • Book: The Complete History - Volume 3
View On Interactive Map

Sources & Acknowledgements

Pin Hmi Bridge, Burma 10 June 1944; Mogaung, Burma 12 and 23 June 1944

10, 12 and 23 June 1944

More details about:
The Second World War 1944 

On 5 March 1944 Operation Thursday launched the second Chindit Expedition in Burma, with the aim of assisting General Stilwell drive the Japanese out of northern Burma and reopen a land route into south-west China. Nearly 10,000 men were airlifted into the region and on 27 May 77th Brigade was ordered to capture Mogaung, the last major town on the railway before Myitkyina on the Irrawaddy River. By 6 June Pin Hmi village about a mile east of Mogaung had been secured. However, Pin Hmi Bridge remained in Japanese hands despite two attempts to capture it. Instead, the Gurkhas captured Mahaung village to the west of Pin Hmi Bridge and the following day attacked it from the rear, taking it at the second attempt. On 23 June the Allies attacked Mogaung itself and captured the railway bridge over the river. By the 26th the town was in their hands. Myitkyina was captured on 3 August.


 In Burma, on the morning of the 12th June, 1944, the enemy put down an intense artillery barrage lasting an hour on our positions north of the village of Ningthoukhong. This heavy artillery fire knocked out several bunkers and caused heavy casualties, and was immediately followed by a very strong enemy attack supported by five medium tanks. After fierce hand to hand fighting, the perimeter was driven in in one place and enemy infantry, supported by three medium tanks, broke through, pinning our troops to the ground with intense fire. “B” Company, 7th Gurkha Rifles, was ordered to counter-attack and restore the situation. Shortly after passing the starting line it came under heavy enemy medium machine-gun and tank machine-gun fire at point blank range, which covered all lines of approach. Rifleman Ganju Lama, the No.1 of the P.I.A.T. gun, on his own initiative, with great coolness and complete disregard for his own safety, crawled forward and engaged the tanks single handed. In spite of a broken left wrist and two other wounds, one in his right hand and one in his leg, caused by withering cross fire concentrated upon him, Rifleman Ganju Lama succeeded in bringing his gun into action within thirty yards of the enemy tanks and knocked out first one and then another, the third tank being destroyed by an anti-tank gun. In spite of his serious wounds, he then moved forward and engaged with grenades the tank crews, who now attempted to escape. Not until he had killed or wounded them all, thus enabling his company to push forward, did he allow himself to be taken back to the Regimental Aid Post to have his wounds dressed. Throughout this action Rifleman Ganju Lama, although very seriously wounded, showed a complete disregard for his own personal safety, outstanding devotion to duty and a determination to destroy the enemy which was an example and an inspiration to all ranks. It was solely due to his prompt action and brave conduct that a most critical situation was averted, all positions regained and very heavy casualties inflicted on the enemy. 

(Second Supplement to The London Gazette of 5 September 1944. 7 September 1944, Numb. 36690, pp. 4157-58)

Extra Information

(Subscription Required)

Copyright © 2023 VC and GC Association. All Rights Reserved. Created by Glide.Design