Personal info

  • Name: George Allan MALING
  • D.O.B: 6th Oct, 1888
  • D.O.A: 25th Sep, 1915
  • D.O.D: 9th Jul, 1929
  • Award: Victoria Cross
  • Occupation at time of action: Temporary Lieutenant, Royal Army Medical Corps, attached to 12th Battalion The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort’s Own), 60th Brigade, 20th Division
  • Book: The Complete History - Volume 2
View On Interactive Map

Sources & Acknowledgements

Near Fauquissart, France 25-26 September 1915

25-26 September 1915

More details about:
The First World War 1915 

Early on the morning of 25 September 1915 in order to divert German resources from the Battle of Loos, the Garhwal and Bareilly Brigades, together with the 12th Battalion Rifle Brigade, attacked the enemy line at Piètre, just north-west of Aubers on the Fauquissart road. The British used gas but the wind carried this back across their own lines with disastrous consequences. Despite this, the 2nd Battalion Black Watch captured the German front and second lines and by 11am a company of 12th Battalion Rifle Brigade moved into the enemy front line. However, a German counter-attack thirty minutes later forced them to withdraw. Meanwhile, the attack by 2nd Battalion 3rd Gurkha Rifles was faring less well. Most of No 4 Double Company were cut down by German fire and only Lieutenant Wood and four men reached the German front line where all but Rifleman Kulbir Thapa were killed. Between the first and second German trenches he found a wounded Private of the 2nd Leicesters. Staying with the man until the next morning, he was able to lead him back to the British line before undertaking further rescues. Temporary Lieutenant G A Maling RAMC distinguished himself throughout the action.


 For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty during the heavy fighting near Fauquissart on 25th September, 1915. Lieutenant Maling worked incessantly with untiring energy from 6.15 a.m. on the 25th till 8 a.m. on the 26th, collecting and treating in the open under heavy shell fire more than 300 men. At about 11 a.m. on the 25th he was flung down and temporarily stunned by the bursting of a large high-explosive shell, which wounded his only assistant and killed several of his patients. A second shell soon covered him and his instruments with debris, but his high courage and zeal never failed him and he continued his gallant work single-handed. 

Third Supplement to The London Gazette of 16 November 1915. 18 November 1915, Numb. 29371, p. 11448

Copyright © 2021 VC and GC Association. All Rights Reserved. Created by Glide.Design