Personal info

  • Name: Samuel HARVEY
  • D.O.B: 17th Sep, 1881
  • D.O.A: 29th Sep, 1915
  • D.O.D: 24th Sep, 1960
  • Award: Victoria Cross
  • Occupation at time of action: Private, 1st Battalion The York and Lancaster Regiment, 83rd Brigade, 28th Division
  • Book: The Complete History - Volume 2
View On Interactive Map

Sources & Acknowledgements

Hohenzollern Redoubt, near Haisnes, France 27, 29 September 1915

27, 29 September 1915

More details about:
The First World War 1915 

The Hohenzollern Redoubt was a German strongpoint, south-west of Haisnes. It was connected to the main German line by communication trenches, most notably ‘Little Willie’ running north and ‘Big Willie’ running south-east. It was attacked on 25 September 1915, the opening day of the Battle of Loos, and mostly captured. On 27 September 1915, Corporal J D Pollock, 5th Battalion Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders, was among troops sent to reinforce British positions and by his bravery helped to check a German advance. On 29 September 1915 A and B Companies, 1st Battalion The York and Lancaster Regiment, and 2nd Battalion The East Surrey Regiment were sent forward to strengthen the British position. The York and Lancasters were advancing along ‘Big Willie’ trench to the south-east to relieve the East Kent Regiment in Dump Trench when at 6am the Germans attacked. Private S Harvey volunteered to fetch more bombs to help repel them. Meanwhile the 2nd East Surreys attacked ‘Little Willie’ trench, which ran northwards. The Germans were moving down the trench and threatening the Redoubt. The East Surreys were pushed back but Temporary Second Lieutenant A J T Fleming-Sandes by his gallant action helped stabilize the situation. The Hohenzollern Redoubt was lost again on 3 October. Fighting continued there and on 13 October, as part of the final British offensive during the Battle of Loos, an attempt to recapture it failed.


 For most conspicuous bravery in “Big Willie” trench on 29th September, 1915. During a heavy bombing attack by the enemy, and when more bombs were urgently required for our front, Private Harvey volunteered to fetch them. The communication trench was blocked with wounded and reinforcements, and he went backwards and forwards across the open under intense fire and succeeded in bringing up no less than thirty boxes of bombs before he was wounded in the head. It was mainly due to Private Harvey’s cool bravery in supplying bombs that the enemy was eventually driven back. 

Third Supplement to The London Gazette of 16 November 1915. 18 November 1915, Numb. 29371, p. 11449

Copyright © 2021 VC and GC Association. All Rights Reserved. Created by Glide.Design