Personal info

  • Name: Cecil John KINROSS
  • D.O.B: 17th Feb, 1896
  • D.O.A: 30th Oct, 1917
  • D.O.D: 21st Jun, 1957
  • Award: Victoria Cross
  • Occupation at time of action: Private, 49th (Edmonton) Battalion The Alberta Regiment, 7th Brigade, Canadian Expeditionary Force
  • Book: The Complete History - Volume 2
View On Interactive Map

Sources & Acknowledgements

West of Passchendaele, Belgium 30-31 October 1917

30-31 October 1917

More details about:
The First World War 1917 

On 30 October 1917, Lieutenant General Sir Arthur Currie launched the second phase of the Second Battle of Passchendaele, which was to bring the Canadian Expeditionary Force to the western outskirts of the village. 49th (Edmonton) Battalion The Alberta Regiment advanced north of the Ypres-Oostnieuwkerke road, but came under heavy machine-gun fire near Furst Farm. This position was captured by Private C J Kinross allowing the advance to continue. To the north of 49th Battalion the forces included 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles, which was detailed to capture the German stronghold at Vapour Farm. Though wounded, Acting Major G R Pearkes succeeded in securing this objective and holding out all day against German counter-attacks even when the situation appeared desperate. Meanwhile, to the south of the Ypres-Oostnieuwkerke road, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry pushed forward to attack the Meetcheele spur. Machine-gun fire from a German pillbox swept the slope. It was only the determination of Lieutenant H M McKenzie, 7th Company, The Canadian Machine Gun Corps, that galvanized the Canadian Light Infantry to charge. McKenzie himself was soon killed but the pillbox was taken by Sergeant G H Mullin, making it possible for the Light Infantry to advance.


 For most conspicuous bravery in action during prolonged and severe operations. Shortly after the attack was launched, the company to which he belonged came under intense artillery fire, and further advance was held up by a very heavy fire from an enemy machine gun. Pte. Kinross, making a careful survey of the situation, deliberately divested himself of all his equipment save his rifle and bandolier and, regardless of his personal safety, advanced alone over the open ground in broad daylight, charged the enemy machine gun, killing the crew of six, and seized and destroyed the gun. His superb example and courage instilled the greatest confidence in his company, and enabled a further advance of 300 yards to be made and a highly important position to be established. Throughout the day he showed marvellous coolness and courage, fighting with the utmost aggressiveness against heavy odds until seriously wounded. 

Sixth Supplement to The London Gazette of 8 January 1918. 11 January 1918, Numb. 30471, p. 724

Extra Information

(Subscription Required)

Copyright © 2023 VC and GC Association. All Rights Reserved. Created by Glide.Design