Personal info

  • Name: George Harry MULLIN
  • D.O.B: 15th Aug, 1892
  • D.O.A: 30th Oct, 1917
  • D.O.D: 5th Apr, 1963
  • Award: Victoria Cross
  • Occupation at time of action: Sergeant, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, 7th Brigade, Canadian Expeditionary Force
  • Book: The Complete History - Volume 2
View On Interactive Map

Sources & Acknowledgements

West of Passchendaele, Belgium 30-31 October 1917

30-31 October 1917

More details about:
The First World War 1917 

On 30 October 1917, Lieutenant General Sir Arthur Currie launched the second phase of the Second Battle of Passchendaele, which was to bring the Canadian Expeditionary Force to the western outskirts of the village. 49th (Edmonton) Battalion The Alberta Regiment advanced north of the Ypres-Oostnieuwkerke road, but came under heavy machine-gun fire near Furst Farm. This position was captured by Private C J Kinross allowing the advance to continue. To the north of 49th Battalion the forces included 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles, which was detailed to capture the German stronghold at Vapour Farm. Though wounded, Acting Major G R Pearkes succeeded in securing this objective and holding out all day against German counter-attacks even when the situation appeared desperate. Meanwhile, to the south of the Ypres-Oostnieuwkerke road, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry pushed forward to attack the Meetcheele spur. Machine-gun fire from a German pillbox swept the slope. It was only the determination of Lieutenant H M McKenzie, 7th Company, The Canadian Machine Gun Corps, that galvanized the Canadian Light Infantry to charge. McKenzie himself was soon killed but the pillbox was taken by Sergeant G H Mullin, making it possible for the Light Infantry to advance.


 For most conspicuous bravery in attack, when single-handed he captured a commanding “Pillbox” which had withstood the heavy bombardment and was causing heavy casualties to our forces and holding up the attack. He rushed a sniper’s post in front, destroyed the garrison with bombs, and, crawling on to the top of the “Pill-box,” he shot the two machine-gunners with his revolver. Sjt. Mullin then rushed to another entrance and compelled the garrison of ten to surrender. His gallantry and fearlessness were witnessed by many, and, although rapid fire was directed upon him, and his clothes riddled by bullets, he never faltered in his purpose and he not only helped to save the situation, but also indirectly saved many lives. 

Sixth Supplement to The London Gazette of 8 January 1918. 11 January 1918, Numb. 30471, p. 723

Copyright © 2023 VC and GC Association. All Rights Reserved. Created by Glide.Design