Personal info

  • Name: Frank Edward YOUNG
  • D.O.B: 2nd Oct, 1895
  • D.O.A: 18th Sep, 1918
  • D.O.D: 18th Sep, 1918
  • Award: Victoria Cross
  • Occupation at time of action: Second Lieutenant, 1st Battalion The Hertfordshire Regiment, 6th Brigade, 2nd Division
  • Book: The Complete History - Volume 2
View On Interactive Map

Sources & Acknowledgements

Battle of Épehy, France 18 September 1918

18 September 1918

More details about:
The First World War 1918 

Encouraged by the success of Third Army in the Battle of Havrincourt, the British Fourth Army decided to advance on 18 September 1918 in an attempt to clear the German positions on the high ground protecting the approach to the Hindenburg Line, which from Vendhuile, east of Épehy, ran south along the St Quentin Canal to St Quentin itself. III Corps was at the northern end of the line, and south of it the Australian Corps and IX Corps. In III Corps, 6th (S) Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment and 25th Battalion The Royal Welsh Fusiliers (TF) were among the troops detailed to capture Ronssoy, south-east of Épehy. It was for his valour in this assault that Lance Sergeant W H Waring was awarded the VC (see also A L Lewis VC 18 and 21 September 1918 below). Further south, 4th Division, Australian Corps, advanced through and around Le Verguier, about five miles north-west of St Quentin. It was in fierce fighting here that Sergeant M V Buckley and Private J P Woods distinguished themselves. Meanwhile, north of Épehy, Third Army was still active. Second Lieutenant F E Young, 1st Battalion The Hertfordshire Regiment, was killed while gallantly fighting off an enemy counter-attack at Triangle Wood, south-east of Havrincourt. To the south-east, in the action at Gouzeaucourt, Temporary Second Lieutenant W A White, 38th Battalion Machine Gun Corps, captured three German machine-guns.


 For most conspicuous bravery, determination and exceptional devotion to duty on 18th September, 1918, south-east of Havrincourt, when during an enemy counter-attack and throughout an extremely intense enemy barrage he visited all posts, warned the garrisons and encouraged the men. In the early stages of the attack he rescued two of his men who had been captured, and bombed and silenced an enemy machinegun. Although surrounded by the enemy, 2nd Lt. Young fought his way back to the main barricade and drove out a party of the enemy who were assembling there. By his further exertions the battalion was able to maintain a line of great tactical value, the loss of which would have meant serious delay to further operations. Throughout four hours of intense hand-to-hand fighting 2nd Lt. Young displayed the utmost valour and devotion to duty, and set an example to which the company gallantly responded. He was last seen fighting hand to hand against a considerable number of the enemy. 

Second Supplement to The London Gazette of 13 December 1918. 14 December 1918, Numb. 31067, p. 14776

Copyright © 2022 VC and GC Association. All Rights Reserved. Created by Glide.Design